The Tragedy of Macbeth
• To print this text, click here
• To save this text, go to your browser's File menu, then select Save As
Act I, Scene 1
A desert place.
[Thunder and lightning. Enter three Witches]
- First Witch. When shall we three meet again
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
- Second Witch. When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won.
- Third Witch. That will be ere the set of sun.
- First Witch. Where the place?
- Second Witch. Upon the heath.
- Third Witch. There to meet with Macbeth.
- First Witch. I come, Graymalkin!
- Second Witch. Paddock calls.
- All. Fair is foul, and foul is fair:
Hover through the fog and filthy air.